Master of Optometry
To create post-graduate Optometry teachers with strong academic and research background who will develop the science of Optometry. They will be responsible and helpful to –
- Develop expertise in assessment, evaluation, planning and intervention in achieving eye care needs of the Indian Society.
- Actively participate in Community Optometry programs to achieve the goals of vision 2020 and the national program for prevention of blindness. Effectively organize and participate in vision screening eye camps to help control blindness.
- Practice independently as a primary eye care practitioner and render eye care services for the benefit of the society.
- Maintain collaborative relationship with members of other disciplines to improve health care system in India.
- Interest in life long learning for personal and professional advancement.
- To provide experience in clinical teaching & under graduate teaching partly.
This course will be conducted in the Hari Jyot College of Optometry, Rotary Eye Institute. The course will enjoy all the infrastructure support Following.
College of Optometry has been established in Rotary Eye Institute and has good infrastructure set up. One optical counter, OPD and an optical lens workshop is being developed. Specialty clinics like Glaucoma, Retina, Cornea, squint, Low Vision and Contact Lenses are being conducted in this set up.
It will be two years’ course which involves course work, assignments, patients care in clinics and research through dissertation projects. Educative seminars, hand-on training session, update workshop and special lecturer will be conducted by the college of Optometry.
Every year a total of 10 eligible candidates will be admitted to first year M. Optom.
Eligibility for Admission to First year M. Optom
- He / She must be an Indian.
- He / She must be medically fit.
- The candidate must have completed the recognized B. Optometry or equivalent course (B. Sc Optometry) with one year internship.
- A candidate who is currently engaged in PG M. Optometry studies in any University or any other University or equivalent body is not eligible.
- A candidate who is graduate of University other than Veer Narmad South Gujarat University should have to submit provisional eligibility certificate (PEC) from this Veer Narmad South Gujarat University within on month from the date of his/her admission. Failing which the admission of candidate shall be cancelled and will not be eligible to apply in future.
- A candidate has to appear in Entarance exam for admission to Post Graduate M. Optometry courses held by University and admission to PG course will be given as per merit by Veer Narmad South Gujarat University.
STRUCTURE OF THE MASTER IN OPTOMETRY (M. OPTOM.) COURSE
- This is a Two years course which involves course work, assignments, patient care in clinics and research through dissertation projects. Educative seminars, hand-on training session, update workshops and special lectures will be conducted from time to time by the school of Optometry.
- Special lecture will be conducted by post graduate teaching faculty during the training program while the students are posted in clinics and hospitals. Guest faculty from other Institutes and Ophthalmic Industry will also be invited to conduct lectures in topics of their specialty areas. Ophthalmic surgeons as medical doctors will be accepted as post graduate teachers till such a time M. Optom. And more qualified teachers are available. For clinical training, all facilities available at our Institute.
Project work and Practical training
- Students admitted to the M.Optom, course will have to be involved in teaching under graduate students for lectures, demonstration and hands on practical sessions.
- Students will have to attend all the special lectures arranged by the college of optometry. Thesis will be compulsory for all PG students. They have to submit initial protocol to the college within Two months after starting the second year.
Syllabus Topic for Master of Optometry (M. Optom.)
FIRST YEAR M. OPTOM.
Name of Subject
|M 101||Applied Optics||Clinical, Visual & Dispensing Optics|
|M 102||Basic Sciences||Ocular Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology|
|M 103||Clinical Sciences||Eye checkup procedure, special investigations, Instruments|
|M 104||Specialty Subject||Choose from list ? Documentation of 100 classified Cases|
|M 105||Support Subject||Examinations will not be conducted|
|1||Contact Lenses||1||Research Methodologies & Statistics|
|2||Binocular Vision & Ocular motility||2||Education and teaching|
|3||Low Vision and management||3||Management ? Personal & Business|
SECOND YEAR B.OPTOM.
Name of Subject
|M 201||Optics & Contact Lenses||Specialty fittings and advanced contact lenses|
|M 202||Clinical management in Orthoptics||Vision Therapy in Binocular Vision disorders|
|M 203||Dispensing Optics & Low Vision||Practical application of Dispensing & Low Vision|
|M 204||Professional Optometry||Computers, Practice management, Professional ethics|
|M 205||Dissertation Thesis|
List of Documents required while reporting for counselling For M.Optom
- At the time of counseling, you are required to produce the following documents in original, failure to do so will result in instantaneous cancellation of claim for admission. You are also required to submit two photo copies of each of these documents.
- Degree certificate (B.optom or Equivalent)
- Mark list for final year examination
- Birth Certificate.
- If the candidate is employed, submit “NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE” from the employer.
- Self declaration stating that he/she is not undergoing any post graduate course in any other institution.
- Medical fitness certificate.
- Migration certificate of university. (If other then VNSGU)
- Transfer certificate.
- Six Photograph copies.