Hari Jyot College of Optometry is one of the premier educational institutes of the Gujarat State. The college is self-financed institute and managed by Rotary Eye Institute which is 200 bedded Eye Institute. It has its own separate governing board.
The college was established in September 2005 and has successfully completed Seven years (six semester + one year internship). The college is affiliated to Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat. The examination at the end of each semester is conducted by the University. At the end of Internship, students get Internship Certificate of Veer Narmad South Gujarat University. It is also affiliated to Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry (ASCO). The medium of instruction is English.
- Refraction Practical rooms, Contact Lens Practical rooms.
- Very Specious Physics Laboratory.
- Library with computer facility.
- Fully air-conditioned Auditorium along with LCD projector system to conduct the seminars and workshops.
- Unique eye catching Ophthalmic Museum
- 150 bedded eye hospital for clinical experience
- Own Optical outlet for Dispensing experience
- Well equipped Orthoptics Department
- International Association of Contact Lens Educators (IACLE) resource Centre of Australia.
Optometrist is a primary healthcare professional who can independently.
- Estimate & prescribe corrective measures like spectacles, Contact Lens, Low Vision Therapy.
- Detect pathological conditions of the visual system.
- Diagnose Ocular & related systemic & neurological diseases and refer the cases to the concerned professionals.
- Design, Manufacture, prescribe, & fit all kinds of optical aids.
- Examine, diagnose & prescribe remedial treatment for ocularmotility malfunctions such as phorias, tropias, and other types of neuromuscular anomalies.
- Undertake public health Optometry projects.
- Public education on ocular hygiene and related nutritional & environmental counseling.
- Offer a helping hand and or efficiently manage & successfully run any ophthalmic clinic, eye OPDs, shops, advice in Ophthalmic industry & trade.
The Optometrists are NOT EXPECTED to..
- Administer drugs without medical supervision.
- Carry out any surgical procedures.
Career Options for Optometrist
- Jobs in Eye Hospitals as an Optometrist.
- Practice independently as Vision Care Professional in Spectacles, Contact Lens, Low Vision Therapy.
- Diagnose Ocular & related Systemic & neurological diseases and refer the cases to the Professionals.
- Academic Career Jobs in Optometry Colleges.
- Retail Chain Outlets, Titan Eye+, Vision Express (Reliance), Lawrence & Mayo, GKB Optical, Zeiss Optical.
- Jobs in Multinationals like, Johnson & Johnson, Bausch & Lomb, Ciba Vision, Essilor etc.