AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF BACHELOR OF OPTOMETRY COURSE
The Bachelor of clinical optometry course at Hari Jyot College of Optometry affiliated to Veer Narmad South Gujarat University follows all the recommendations of Indian Optometric Association
The experts keeping in view the following aim and objectives have designed this degree course. The syllabus for Bachelor of Clinical optometry (B.Optom) course aims at preparing a primary health care professional, an Optometrist? who can independently undertake
- Estimate refractive errors of the eye and prescribe corrective measures including Spectacles, Contact lenses, Low vision Aids and Vision Therapy.
- Detect pathological conditions of the visual system, which are deviations from normal. Diagnose ocular and related systemic and neurological diseases and refer the cases to other medical professionals for detailed medical and surgical management.
- Design, manufacture, prescribe and fit all kinds of optical aids including Spectacles, Sunglasses, Ophthalmic lenses, contact lenses, low vision aids.
- Examine, diagnose and prescribe treatment for ocular-motility malfunctions like phorias, tropias, and other types of strabismus (squint) and Neuro-muscular anomalies.
- Undertake public health optometry projects and vision screening eye camps in schools, colleges, urban slums, rural areas and also practice occupational optometry in industries.
- Public education on ocular hygiene and related nutritional and environmental counseling.
- Offer a helping hand and or efficiently manage and successfully run any ophthalmic clinic, Eye department in hospitals, optician shops, optical, ophthalmic industry & trade.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION TO B.OPTOM COURSE
- Candidate must have passed the HSC examination (10+2 course) from the Gujarat Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Examinations or its equivalent with English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects from a recognized board
- Must have completed 17 years of age as on 31st December of the year of admission to the course or earlier.
- Candidate must have appeared for GUJ CET.
4 years Course including 3 years academic and 1 year of internship in various department.
DISTRIBUTION OF SEATS
Total 47 students will be admitted to the First Bachelor of Optometry course each year strictly on the merit basis.
PROCEDURE FOR ADMISSION
Admission will be done through Central Medical Admission Committee, Gujarat.
No Tuition fees
The fees will have to be paid at the beginning of the academic year. The changes in above fees shall be subject of approval by Retd. Just. R. J. Shah fees committee of Govt. of Gujarat.
- Separate hostel facilities are available for both Boys & Girls.
- Students must be abiding by rules and regulations framed by the college from time to time. Any violation of rules or any act of indiscipline on the part of the students shall result in diplomacy action leading expulsion from the College.
- Guest/relatives would not be permitted to reside in the accommodation provided to students.
SYLLABUS TOPIC FOR B. OPTOM.
Semester - 1
Semester - 2
|Eye Anatomy & Physiology
|Basic & Ocular Pharmacology
|Physical Optic & Lighting
|Pathology & Microbiology
Semester - 3
Semester - 4
|Optics and Refraction
|Optometric Optics & LVA
|Ocular Disease (II)
|Ocular Disease (I)
|Hospital procedures & Medical Psychology
Semester - 5
Semester - 6
|Contact Lenses (I)
|Contact Lenses (II)
|Binocular Vision & Ocular motility
|Systemic disease and the eye
|Applied & Clinical Optometry
|Major Eye disease
|Optometry & Law in India
|Public Health and Community Optometry
|Basic Accountancy & Public relations
One year Rotational Internship at specialty clinics, and Refraction department / Eye Camp / Industrial survey / school camp and other Community Eye Health Camp and Project work.