There are 13 crore visually challenged people in India because of uncorrected refractive error.(WHO report). The Problem stems from lack of qualified optometrists. To provide excellent vision care to all the people of the country, India needs 1,15,000 Optometrists whereas India currently has approximately 9,000 Optometrists only.
WHAT IS OPTOMETRY?
Optometry is an independent vision care science, which covers the examination of Human Eyes and Visual system for the estimation of errors of refraction, the fitting manufacturing and supply of optical aids. Optometrist is an independent discipline in eye care. The optometry is a primary health care professional who is institutionally educated and clinically trained in the art and science of optometry. He is required to examine the eyes and the visual system, diagnose the visual problem, prescribe and provide remedial corrective treatment in the form of spectacles, contact lenses, low vision aids or vision therapy. If any pathological condition is detected during the examination, the Optometrist should immediately refer the patient to an Ophthalmologist.
The present scope of Optometric practice is far more than the determination of the refractive state of the eyes and the prescribing and dispensing of glasses. Importance of optometric education has grown with the availability of new ophthalmic modes of treatment and optical products manufactured by latest technology are made available to the common man.
List of Colleges in Gujarat are associated with Admission Committee for Physiotherapy, Optometry and Orthotics and Audiology, BSC Nursing, GNM And ANM Admission
Government of Gujarat, Gandhinagar
|NAGAR SCHOOL OF OPTOMETRY, NAGARI HOSPITAL, ELLISHBRIDGE, AHMEDABAD||GUJARAT UNIVERSITY|
|HARI JYOT COLLEGE OF OPTOMETRY, DUDHIA TALAV, NAVSARI||VEER NARMAD SOUTH GUJARAT UNI.|
|H.V. DESAI & S.D. DESAI SCHOOL OF OPTOMETRY, DRASHTI NETRALAYA, CHAKALIA ROAD, NEAR G.I.D.C., DAHOD||SHRI GOVIND GURU UNIVERSITY|
|SHREE BHARTIMAIYA COLLEGE OF OPTOMETRY, SHREE BHARTIMAIYA VIDYA SANKUL, BEHIND BIG BAZAR, VESU ROAD,SURAT||VEER NARMAD SOUTH GUJARAT UNI.|
|CHAROTAR INSTITUTE OF PARAMEDICAL SCIENCE,(B.OPTOMETRY),CHARUSAT CAMPUS,CHANGA,ANAND-388421||CHAROTAR UNI. OF SCI. AND TECH.(CHARUSAT)|
|DIWALIBA OPTOMETRY COLLEGE,TEJAS EYE HOSPITAL,MANDAVI, SURAT-394160||UKA TARSADIA UNIVERSITY|
|B.N. PATEL INSTITUTE OF PARAMEDICAL AND SCIENCE [MANAGED BY SARDAR PATEL EDUCATION TRUST] ,N S PATEL ARTS COLLEGE,Bhalej Road, Anand||SARDAR PATEL UNI.|
|B.P.A.SCHOOL OF OPTOMETRY,BAREJA,AHMEDABAD||GUJARAT UNIVERSITY|
Optometry may be a healthcare profession that’s autonomous, educated and controlled.
- Optometrists are the first health & vision care practitioners of the attention and sensory system who provide comprehensive eye and vision care, which incorporates refraction and dispensing, diagnosis and management of disease within the eye and rehabilitation of conditions of the sensory system.
- Optometry courses in India
- Diploma course in optometry (2 years)
- Optom – UG Degree course in optometry (4 year)
- Optom – PG Degree course in optometry (2 year)
- PhD – are often pursed in India and overseas after completion of master degree with minimum of 80% with paper publication or bachelor degree.
Career paths of optometry practice
- Retail industries:
- Work as an optometrist in national and multinational optical retail companies in several countries.
- Work as a store optometrists.
- Store manager optometrist.
- Regional optometrist.
- Trainer optometrist.
- Corporate industries:
- Work as an optometrist in national and multinational companies of various optical lenses, contact lenses, optical instruments and diagnostic equipment.
- Work as a dispensing consultant of PALs trainer.
- Sales or marketing manager and trainer
- Diagnostic instrument trainer and sales manager.
- Contact lens product sales manager, trainer, instructor, presenter, educator and counselor.
- Representative in educational programs.
- Stand Alone Practice
- Primary Optometry Clinic
- Investigation of conditions
- Optical Store
- Providing Referral
- Specialty Contact lens, Binocular vision, Low vision Practice
- Clinical & hospital practice:
- Consultant Optometrist
- Performing Refraction
- Investigation of Conditions
- Operating All different Instruments in Hospitals
- Contact lens Practitioner
- Specialty of fellowships in touch lenses can give multiple opportunities to figure as contact practitioner, educator and representative of various specialty contact associations. For: IACLE.
- Can practice and manage a patient who needs specialty contact lenses in clinics, hospitals and in personal practice.
- It includes fitting of varied specialty lenses like ROSE K family contact lenses, MINI SCLERAL & SCLERAL contact lenses, ORTHO K contact lenses.
- Can do further specialization in orthokeratology and work as myopia control consultant.
- Also includes prosthetic and therapeutic contact lenses.
- Low Vision Practitioner
- Includes detailed practice in managing, counseling and rehabilitating vision consistent with the requirements of a private individual with the assistance of low vision aids and advanced optical devices.
- Binocular Vision Practitioner
- It includes detailed study, diagnosis and management of varied ocular and vision related disorders in young age groups.
- Specialization and research in management of youngsters.
- It includes the management of various cases considering the psychology of the infants, toddlers and faculty going children.
- Pediatric practice is usually performed in hospitals and clinics.
- Practicing Ocular Prosthesis
- Includes study, manufacturing, making and fitting of varied ocular prosthetic equipments, contact lenses and artificial eyes.
- It is practiced to cover the abnormality and enhance cosmetic appearance of a private eye or parts of the attention.
- It includes the detailed study of the sensory system and systema nervosum alongside optometric science.
- Neuro optometric services are provided to individuals who have vision related problems related to neurological diseases, trauma, metabolic or congenital conditions.
- Neuro optometric practices include comprehensive evaluations, special tests like electro diagnostic services, therapies, counseling and rehabilitation.
- Can add coordination with health care professionals and rehabilitation specialist like occupational, physical and therapist.
- Sport Vision
- A sports vision specialist deals with the actual visual needs of a sports person counting on the sort of sport.
- A sports vision specialist’s tests can affect hand eye coordination, anticipation, concentration, agility and quickness.
- It includes close observation in measuring of a sports person’s reaction to varied sports situation actual on field.
- Prescribes and decides the varied sorts of optical equipments and accessories to visually enhance the performance of sports person.
- Occupational Optometry
- Occupational optometrists deals with the science and art which are supported the principles of lighting, eye safety, vision and eye care suitable for a good array of occupations.
- Practicing as occupational optometrists include several tasks and procedures like: Visual task analysis of various jobs in work area.
- Determination of the visual capability and defects of employees.
- Management and referral.
- Dispensing and designing of private protective equipment.
- Counseling and education of employees.
- Providing reports to the employer.
- Follow ups at regular intervals
- Professor, teacher, educator in institutions and colleges.
- Head of optometry institution.
- Associate professor.
- Assistant professor.
- Educational programs manager.
- Researcher and developer.
- Specialization & research areas in optometry
- Further options
- Implementation of varied associations and academic programs.
- Conducting vision care service camps.
- Conducting awareness programs to teach and make people aware of eye health and vision care.
- Also can a wholesale business of frames, lenses & optical instruments.
- Consultant Optometrist
Optom. Riddhi Kanani
Hari Jyot College of Optometry